Online registration for this event has closed. You can still register at pre-Plunge Check-In on Friday or Burlington Waterfront on Saturday.
Saturday, February 8, 2014 – 11:00 am Plunge Time
Waterfront Park, Burlington
Join Special Olympics Vermont for the 19th Annual Burlington Penguin Plunge. Invite your friends, co-workers, family and classmates to brave the icy waters of Lake Champlain with you to raise awareness and funds for the 935 athletes of Special Olympics Vermont.
Pre-Plunge Check-in Night – Friday, February 7
Windjammer Conference Center, S. Burlington | 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Event Day Check-in – Saturday, February 8
Burlington Waterfront Park | 8:30am – 10:30am
ALL Plungers must check-in for the event either Friday evening or Saturday morning. This includes turning in offline donations, receiving your wave number and picking up your goodie bag and fundraising incentive items. Each Plunger will receive an Ibex winter hat and a Plunge bag. Hat colors are first come, first serve.
All participants, whether taking the plunge as part of a team or as an individual, must raise $150 (in addition to the registration amount). You will not be allowed to participate if you have not reached the minimum fundraising goal.
Teams – If you need to share funds among teammates, please complete the Team Fundraising Report and bring it with you to check-in. Plungers are eligible for fundraising incentives based on their total contribution after funds have been shared.
- Plungers must wear shoes into the water – sandals with straps, water shoes, or sneakers work well
- Bring lots of dry, warm clothes to change into and an extra towel
- Only plungers will be allowed inside the heated changing tents. Please listen for your wave to be called into the changing tents before entering
- Check-in closes at 10:30am! Check-in early or beat the Saturday lines by joining us on Friday night from 5:30-7:30pm at the Windjammer Conference Center.
- The Penguin Plunge is an alcohol-free event
- SOVT is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Please make sure you take all of your belongings with you. Anything left behind will be donated to a local charity.
- No smoking or photography allowed inside the tents
- If you were registered online by someone else you will be asked to sign a waiver at check-in. Plungers under 18 must have a parent/guardian signature
- The Penguin Plunge costume contest is going online! Visit the official costume contest photo booth from 10-11:30 to have your picture taken and posted to a Facebook album. The photo with the most “likes” wins!
There is very limited municipal parking near the waterfront. Thanks to our friends at STA Travel/Mountain Transit, free shuttles will transport Plungers from the downtown area to the waterfront and back. Pick up the free shuttle at the Cherry Street bus stop and the corner of Church and Main Streets from 9:00am – 1:30pm
The parking lot at the skate park and marked spaces along Lake Street are designated handicap parking.
Thank you to the 2014 Burlington Penguin Plunge sponsors
Mountain Transit – STA, NES Rentals, Seventh Generation, SD Ireland, Select Design, Starbucks Coffee, Bluebird BBQ, The Farmhouse Group